R & D
Dani considers research and innovation to be essential for medium- and long-term company development. Innovation involves the product, the process and the organisation.
Activities are associated with a reduction in the use of resources and the environmental impacts for improving the characteristics of the leather and the efficiency of production; the branch approach; collaboration with universities and research institutes; and growing international representation.
Every year Dani invests around 1.5% of its turnover in research and innovation.
Green Leather Industry For the Environment (GreenLIFE)
Dani was coordinator of the “GreenLIFE” project (June 2014 – May 2017) financed by the European Commission as part of the “LIFE” programme.
The initiative involved five companies that are part of the Vicenza tannery supply chain, and it obtained some important technical results:
- 20% less water consumed during the liming phase;
- industrialised oxidative liming processes;
- a new tanning agent was developed from renewable sources and the tanning agent produced on a semi-industrial scale;
- a tanning agent with a good azote and phosphorous content was produced from liming bath recycling and treatment;
- a protein-based hydrolysed product was realised starting from the hide keratin recycled from the liming phase;
- an LCA (Life Cycle Assessment) study was carried out to estimate the environmental impact of purification and assess the benefits for the district coming from the introduction of the new technologies.
Dani took part in the “Development of an innovative re-tanning product for leather, reusing alfalfa waste fibers” project.
The research, which started in September 2017 and ended in October 2018, was coordinated by IKEM (a tannery chemical product supplier) and had the support of the Veneto Region during the Regional Operation Plan “FESR 2104-2020”.
During the project an innovative and very environmentally compatible retanning product was perfected, which made it possible to obtain interesting results on a semi-industrial scale.
Find out more
Linkki, a Finnish word that means “connection” is the “MES” (Manufacturing Execution System) implemented by Dani from 2016.
The acronym MES indicates a computerised system that manages the progress and control of company production.
It is a technological-organisation innovation that helps company development, not only in terms of efficiency and effectiveness, but also because it clarifies and codes the company’s skills and knowledge.
To design and implement Linkki, an ‘as is’ analysis of the production processes was carried out; the processes were then modelled according to the ISA-95 standard.
After this, all the collaborators were sensitised to and trained on the new system before it was introduced, and their feedback was collected in order to fine tune the system.
Finally, Linkki was implemented in the production environment using tablets as the interface for the production personnel.
The introduction of Linkkiha has so far made it possible to:
- create a standard operation language, so increasing the sense of belonging and the group spirit in the company;
- make available data that is more granular in shorter times, so optimising production process planning and scheduling management thanks to greater control of the industrial costs and shorter decision-making times;
- reduce the use of paper thanks to the introduction of the tablets, which contemporaneously eliminated activities of low additional value.
Tanning district and green economy: sustainability techniques applied along the supply chain.
Dani coordinated an organisation training and innovation project in order to introduce methods and instruments for more effective management of the environmental aspects using a supply chain perspective.
The project, which was supported by the Veneto Region during the “FESR 2104-2020” Regional Operation Plan, involved another tannery (Laba), a tanner chemical product supplier (Corichem) and a footwear factory (AKU).
Find out more